Quick Links

North Platte Public Schools

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

Journalism

Story image 1_0
5a74a9bc7ff1dBeckett Allen ('22) wins the Bulldogger's middle school news writing challenge in the spring 2017. His guest piece was featured in the paper.
Beckett Allen ('22) wins the Bulldogger's middle school news writing challenge in the spring 2017. His guest piece was featured in the paper.

NP Bulldogger

Jostens

All students are welcome to join the journalism department.  The department offers both classes and extra-curricular activities with the student newspaper production or yearbook production.  The student newspaper, The Bulldogger, is a Cornhusker Award Winner!

News-lab and Yearbook are laboratory-style courses to support the North Platte High School Journalism extra-curricular activity. Students will be assigned specific duties to contribute to either The Bulldogger newspaper or The Round-Up yearbook.  Time will generally be used to produce the student-led publications.  Supplementary advanced journalism techniques will be taught as necessary.   

The journalism adviser will provide a journalistically professional learning environment and experience for students, allow students to make decisions concerning content of the publication and ensure the publications will remain an open forum.  In addition, the adviser will work with students to increase a variety of journalism skills.  The adviser will not act as a censor, but rather as a consultant and an educator.

This course is an elective and worth 5 credit hours.  Beginning Journalism, Photography or adviser approval is a prerequisite for participating in The Bulldogger newspaper or The Round-Up yearbook. 

The Bulldogger newspaper won a Cornhusker award at the Nebraska High School Press Association's 2017 Fall conference.

Bryce Lee ('18) earned 3rd place in News/Feature Photography and also placed for his collaboration with In Depth reporting at the 2017 NSAA State Journalism. contest.  

Will Stone ('17) & Syble Heffernan ('17) placed 2nd & 3rd in Column Writing at 2017 NSAA State Journalism. 

National Geographic Photographer Brian Lehmann works closely Harmony Myers ('18) and Emma Downey ('19) advising journalism students​ on their photography.  

National Geographic Photographer Brian Lehmann analyzes photos shot by Syble Heffernan ('17) and Pheonix VanCura Clemmons ('18) during a two-day residency program sponsored by First National Bank. 

Lori Larson Lori Larson
Sponsor

Email Lori Larson