North Platte Public Schools will offer mask exemptions to any student who meets the requirements outlined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. For more information about this, please visit https://www.disabilityrightsnebraska.org/file_download/inline/3dbbef7f-a93b-4d41-9761-b3058b0c4b3a.
North Platte Public Schools, District Criteria
Face Coverings Guidance: Student Exemptions
Student Exemption Considerations
Face Coverings-- Please complete the Exemption Request for Face-Covering form to begin the process of the evaluation for exemption, https://forms.gle/nAudNRBcYHfcqYpS7
Considerations: Medical issues that are documented in the student’s emergency health plan:
1. Students who require oral suctioning
2. Students on a ventilator
3. Students who have a trach
4. Students who frequently secrete bodily fluids from the eyes, nose, and/or mouth.
Significant behavioral needs that are documented in the student’s Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) or 504:
1. Students for whom face coverings may cause ongoing significant distress that can not be remedied through teaching, problem-solving, or other
2. Students for whom significant distress may disrupt education or whose distress may disrupt the education of others
3. Students with a history of issues concerning restrictive clothing, close spaces, or high anxiety, or with other data supporting significant student distress
As much as possible, students, even those with exceptions, must wear a face-covering in common areas, including:
❏ Entering/exiting the school
❏ Bathrooms / changing rooms
❏ Entering or leaving the cafeteria, except while eating
If you would like your child to be exempt from wearing a face covering, you will need to complete the Exemption Request For Face Covering Form. Then your child’s principal or designee will contact you within 10 days of the submission of the form to set up a meeting.
If you have additional questions, please contact the building administrator for your student’s school.