Cold and Flu Season
Cold and Flu season is now upon us and North Platte Public Schools would like to keep its students and the adults who care for them healthy.
Students should remain home for the following reasons:
- For a temperature greater than 100 degrees. Students should be fever free for 24 hours without taking fever reducing medications before returning to school.
- Vomiting or diarrhea within the last 24 hours.
- Strep throat. May return 24 hours after starting antibiotics.
- Productive, moist persistent cough that is not relieved by cough medication.
- Please ask your school nurse or doctor about other illnesses.
- Please notify Administrative Assistant or School Nurse if your child will be absent for the day due to a contagious illness!
Tips for staying healthy:
- Hand Hygiene: Frequent handwashing is the best way to control the spread of germs! Wash hands often or use hand sanitizer.
- Cover mouth and nose for coughs and sneezes with a kleenex or elbow/arm.
- Do not share food or drinks.
- Drink lots of water, get plenty of rest and eat a healthy diet.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Get immunizations that can protect you against diseases like influenza.
- Disinfect surfaces that are prone to germs (Doorknobs, phones, keyboards, handrails, toothbrushes.)
We have an increase in influenza this year nationwide and within the community. The severity has also increased from past years. For more information, visit www.flu.gov or call 1-800-CDC-INFO for the most up to date information regarding the flu. Thank you for your participation in keeping our students healthy.