North Platte High School Announcements
By Schumacher, Teresa
September 15, 2014
North Platte High School Announcement
Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014 - Friday, Sept. 19, 2014
#goodsnacks #goodfun #DoingSportsGod’sWay #bringafriendandjoinus
The PSAT/NMSQT Test will be administered to college-bound juniors and sophomores on Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 8:00am in the High School Media Center. This is the qualifying test for National Merit Scholarship. Students must sign up for this test in the Guidance Office with Mrs. Schumacher. The cost of this test is $20.00 payable by check when you register. Please make your check out to NPHS. You will receive a bulletin that contains valuable information and practice test questions when you register. Deadline to register is noon, Monday, October 13th. There are a limited number of test books so the first 40 registrants will be able to test and there is no refund if you fail to show up for the test.
Please dismiss the following student/athletes at 2:00pm on Tuesday, Sept. 16th. The bus leaves at for games at Ogallala: Gabi Brumfield, Kaitlynn Harvey, Jessy Hunt, Taylor Johnson, Rebekah Brumfield, Molly Hunt, Allison Kuenle, Alex Neff, Olivia Nicholson, Morgan Raska, Hayley Schanou, Kayleigh Wagner & Hope Wilke, Sidney Brinker, Grace Carl, Kiersten Lange, Mack Nelson, Jordynn Simpson & Emma Wilkenson, Leslie Borges, B Callendar, Kaitlyn Hansen, Callie Hodgson, Sami Mauch, Abbi McNew-Baker & Gabby Menghini
Important Dates to Remember for Seniors
(A complete list is also available in the Post Planning Guide given to all seniors in Oct.)
* August 8, 2014 is the registration deadline for the September 13th ACT Test.
* ACT Test is September 13, 2014.
* September 19, 2014 is the registration deadline for the October 25th ACT Test.
* Make an appt. with your counselor to review credits, career goals, and college plans.
* Finalize the list of colleges to which you want to apply (usually no more than 5).
* Go on-line for the latest college catalogs and admission applications.
* Study the catalogs for courses and majors offered and sources of financial aid.
* Register for the ACT, SAT and/or Achievement tests and prepare for them.
* Service Academy and/or ROTC applications must be started.
* Begin searching for national scholarships.
Ask teachers/employers for a letter of recommendation now for scholarships!!
* Pick up local scholarship applications Oct. 1, 2014 in the Guidance Office.
* ACT Prep course at Mid-Plains Community College (date to be announced)
* Sign up in the Guidance Office if you are interested in meeting with college/military.
* Make college campus visits.
* Check current scholarship lists in the Guidance Office and in the newsletter.
* Attend the Educational Planning Program (College Fair) October 15, 2014.
* ACT test is October 25, 2014.
* (Unknown at this time) is the registration deadline for the November 8th SAT Test.
* Fill out college admission applications.
* November 7, 2014 is the registration deadline for the December 13th ACT Test.
* SAT test is November 8, 2014.
* Order graduation announcements, diploma, cap and gown (Dates to be announced)
* Check the spelling of your name for your diploma in the Guidance Office.
* ACT Prep course at Mid-Plains Community College (date to be announced later)
* Make sure to have done everything necessary for admission and financial aid.
* Continue checking for scholarships and other forms of financial assistance.
* Attend College Financial Aid Night on December 11, 2014.
* ACT test is December 13, 2014. (Final chance to test for some scholarship eligibility)
* Local scholarship applications are due December 17, 2014.
* Check with your counselor to see that your transcripts have been sent to colleges.
* SAT test is January 24, 2015.
* Parents need to complete taxes and complete the Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) form.
* January 9, 2015 is the registration deadline for the February 7th ACT Test.
* ACT test is February 7, 2015. (Not given at NPHS)
* Apply for Mid-Nebraska Community Foundation Scholarships. (Feb. 1st - Feb. 27th)
* Be alert for housing deposit deadlines and pre-registration for fall classes.
* Pick up graduation announcements. (Dates to be announced)
* March 13, 2015 is the registration deadline for the April 18th ACT Test.
* Most colleges will have notified you of their decision on admission and financial aid.
* Keep your counselor informed as you receive your financial aid package.
* Keep track of acceptances, rejections, and awards of financial aid.
* Reply promptly to colleges asking you to notify them of your decision.
* ACT test is April 18, 2015.
* Notify the Guidance Secretary of any scholarships you receive by April 15, 2015.
* Senior Awards Night on Monday, April 27, 2015 @6:00pm.
* Senior check out. (Date to be announced)
* Graduation practice is tentatively scheduled for May 7, 2015 at 9:00am in the PAC.
* Commencement is May 10, 2015 at 2:00p.m. Memorial Stadium Bauer Field.
* Request the Guidance Office to send your final transcript to the college you will attend.
RECORDS TO KEEP:
* Cancelled checks or money order receipts
* Admission Tickets to tests and correction forms
* All test score reports
* Transcript of grades
* Copies of all correspondence sent to, or received from, colleges
Wendy’s High School Heisman Scholarship October 3
Must be senior student
Must have “B” grade average
Must participate in at least one school sponsored sport
Must apply online @ www.wendysheisman.com
Joseph’s Achievement Scholarship No Deadline
Awarded during the student’s second half of their
career training at Joseph’s
Apply at www.josephscollege.com
Joseph’s Outstanding Merit Schol. For Cosmetology No Deadline
Must have GPA of 3.5 or higher at end of final semester
Any student who is a member of NHS is also eligible
Scholarships given on first-come-first-serve basis
Apply at www.josephscollege.com
NebraskaLand University – NebraskaLand National Bank will be hosting a series of classes for any interested high school juniors and seniors. Classes include Budgeting & Saving, Economy 101, Credit & Loans and Scams. There will be 6 classes and will be held the first Monday of every month. Applications and letters of commitment must be submitted by Monday, September 15th. Contact Molly Harms or Danielle Nichols at NebraskaLand National Bank for more information on enrolling and scholarship opportunities.
Business Boot Camp Series Fall 2014 – You’ve got a great idea for a business. Or maybe you’ve had your eye on an existing business and you want to approach the owner about buying it. Either way, once you’ve made the decision that business ownership is right for you, now what? Lisa Tsauchner, co-founder of Open for Business magazine, will guide you through the steps required to lay the path to success. NPCC will be hosting this boot camp series over the course of the fall semester, one day each month. Sessions will be held on Saturdays. (One in the morning and one in the afternoon.) They all have a different focus. The North Platte Chamber is sponsoring $50 scholarships for students to enroll. They are first-come, first-serve. For information on this scholarship go to http://tinyurl.com/peyh9rd Contact Angela Raby at Mid-Plains Community College, 308-535-3687, to register for this business boot camp.
UNK Multicultural Scholars & Leaders Day – Wednesday, September 17, 2014. This event is for SENIORS ONLY and is intended for all college bound seniors who may or may not be considering UNK to further their education. Register online at visit.unk.edu
Rotary District 5630 Youth Exchange Program – If you are a high school student between the ages of 15 – 18 ½ and are interested in serving as an “ambassador” representing your family, your school, your community and the United States, you may apply for this program. Students should be strong academically, curious, adaptable and outgoing. Students will go to school, learn the language, learn the culture and live with at least 2 host families. Applications are available at www.5630rye.org. Applications for students interested in becoming an exchange student next year must be filled out and returned to your local Rotary Club by October 15, 2014. Interviews by the local Rotary Club will be held between October 15th and November 1st. If you are accepted into this program, the enrollment fee for a Long Term Exchange is $4,750 and the Short Term Exchange is $3,000. Payment dates are specific and FEES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
Great Plains Regional Medical Center Job Shadowing Program – This program is open to students interested in nursing, radiology, dietary, laboratory, physical therapy, respiratory therapy or anesthesiology. Applications are available in the Guidance Office.