North Platte High School Announcements
May 14, 2015
North Platte High School Announcement
Friday, May 15, 2015
NPHS Offices will be open from 7:30am - 4:00pm during the summer for your convenience. If you have questions during this time or would like to contact a specific office please feel free to contact NPHS at 308-535-7105. Some offices will be closed throughout the summer so please don't hesitate to call first.
Important Dates to Remember for Seniors
(A complete list is also available in the Post Planning Guide given to all seniors in Oct.)
* August 8, 2014 is the registration deadline for the September 13th ACT Test.
* ACT Test is September 13, 2014.
* September 19, 2014 is the registration deadline for the October 25th ACT Test.
* Make an appt. with your counselor to review credits, career goals, and college plans.
* Finalize the list of colleges to which you want to apply (usually no more than 5).
* Go on-line for the latest college catalogs and admission applications.
* Study the catalogs for courses and majors offered and sources of financial aid.
* Register for the ACT, SAT and/or Achievement tests and prepare for them.
* Service Academy and/or ROTC applications must be started.
* Begin searching for national scholarships.
Ask teachers/employers for a letter of recommendation now for scholarships!!
* Pick up local scholarship applications Oct. 1, 2014 in the Guidance Office.
* ACT Prep course at Mid-Plains Community College (date to be announced)
* Sign up in the Guidance Office if you are interested in meeting with college/military.
* Make college campus visits.
* Check current scholarship lists in the Guidance Office and in the newsletter.
* Attend the Educational Planning Program (College Fair) October 15, 2014.
* ACT test is October 25, 2014.
* (Unknown at this time) is the registration deadline for the November 8th SAT Test.
* Fill out college admission applications.
* November 7, 2014 is the registration deadline for the December 13th ACT Test.
* SAT test is November 8, 2014.
* Order graduation announcements, diploma, cap and gown (Dates to be announced)
* Check the spelling of your name for your diploma in the Guidance Office.
* ACT Prep course at Mid-Plains Community College (date to be announced later)
* Make sure to have done everything necessary for admission and financial aid.
* Continue checking for scholarships and other forms of financial assistance.
* Attend College Financial Aid Night on December 11, 2014.
* ACT test is December 13, 2014. (Final chance to test for some scholarship eligibility)
* Local scholarship applications are due December 17, 2014.
* Check with your counselor to see that your transcripts have been sent to colleges.
* SAT test is January 24, 2015.
* Parents need to complete taxes and complete the Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) form.
* January 9, 2015 is the registration deadline for the February 7th ACT Test.
* ACT test is February 7, 2015. (Not given at NPHS)
* Apply for Mid-Nebraska Community Foundation Scholarships. (Feb. 1st - Feb. 27th)
* Be alert for housing deposit deadlines and pre-registration for fall classes.
* Pick up graduation announcements. (Dates to be announced)
* March 13, 2015 is the registration deadline for the April 18th ACT Test.
* Most colleges will have notified you of their decision on admission and financial aid.
* Keep your counselor informed as you receive your financial aid package.
* Keep track of acceptances, rejections, and awards of financial aid.
* Reply promptly to colleges asking you to notify them of your decision.
* ACT test is April 18, 2015.
* Notify the Guidance Secretary of any scholarships you receive by April 15, 2015.
* Senior Awards Night on Monday, April 27, 2015 @6:00pm.
* Senior check out. (Date to be announced)
* Graduation practice is tentatively scheduled for May 7, 2015 at 9:00am in the PAC.
* Commencement is May 10, 2015 at 2:00p.m. Memorial Stadium Bauer Field.
* Request the Guidance Office to send your final transcript to the college you will attend.
RECORDS TO KEEP:
* Cancelled checks or money order receipts
* Admission Tickets to tests and correction forms
* All test score reports
* Transcript of grades
* Copies of all correspondence sent to, or received from, colleges
PAWS-ITIVE PARTNERS’ PAWS-UP SCHOLARSHIP June 1
Must be a resident of Lincoln County
Must be a graduating senior or non-traditional student
enrolled in an institution of higher learning
Must intend on a career field of animal care, which may
include veterinarian, veterinary technician, groomer,
animal trainer, animal control officer, wildlife
conservation, zookeeper, kennel owner/worker, etc.
GENOA U.S. INDIAN SCHOOL FOUND WOLFE FAMILY SCHOLARSHIP June 15
Must be accepted in an accredited program of higher education
and provide a copy of last semester’s grades
Must be a descendent of a Genoa Indian School student and
able to provide documentation
Must be an enrolled tribal member and able to prove
Must express an interest in the history of the Genoa Indian School
Must maintain a B average
apply online at http://www.megavision.net/genoamuseum
JIM HURLBERT MEMORIAL BASEBALL SCHOLARSHIP June 15
Must be a Nebraska American Legion Baseball player in
their last year of Legion Baseball and/or graduating senior
Must attend a post-secondary educational institution within
the state of Nebraska
Must have maintained a GPA in the upper 50% of graduating class
UNO BALANCED MAN SCHOLARSHIP – SIGMA PHI EPSILON July 31
Must be male
Must be attending UNO in fall
Should exemplify principles of Sound Mind and Sound Body
Applicants have NO obligation to join fraternity Sigma Phi Epsilon
Must apply online at http://www.unosigep.org/?p=new_members/balanced_man_scholarship
Great Plains Hospice – Footsteps Camp: A Family Journey Through Grief – Footsteps Camp is a day-long experience for children K-12 and their families. Children will learn about grief and connect with other children who are also grieving. Adults attending with children can learn about their own grief, find support from other adults, and learn how to support the children. There is no charge to attend.The camp is free to all campers and Footsteps Camp is made possible by memorial gifts to the Hospice fund at Great Plains Health Care Foundation Hospice Fund. Breakfast, lunch, snacks, activity supplies and T-shirts will be provided. This program will be held June 13, 2015. To register call Renee Callaghan at Lisa Bocott at 696-7434 or. T to register online at www.gprmc.comgphealth.org/footsteps-grief-camp. and click on Footstep Camp link.
University of Nebraska Medical Center Summer Health Professions Career Workshop – August 4 - August 7, 2015. This workshop is designed to give students the opportunity to investigate different health careers through a hands-on learning program and hands-on based learning program. There is a fee. Applications are due June 1, 2015. Students must be entering their junior year of high school with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and have an interest in the health professions. Go to http://unmc.edu/studentservices/ylc for application.
Great Plains Regional Medical Center Job Shadowing Program – This program is open to students interested in nursing, radiology, dietary, laboratory, physical therapy, respiratory therapy or anesthesiology. Applications are available in the Guidance Office.
(ABC)Nebraska Cornhuskers Chapter Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. - Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a non-profit organization that offers a cost effective and comprehensive apprenticeship and craft-training program for those individuals who want to have a viable career in the trades. Students interested in the construction trades can find more information at http//:www.abcnebraska.org.